In the past few years, I have been hearing a lot of things that are unethical or even downright illegal. In many cases, I used to think, "Ok, at some point people will change". Well, it doesn't seem to be the case. The latest "Spot Fixing" controversy that has clouded cricket yet again is not good for the game. And who is the major party "allegedly" involved? Pakistan.
In recent times, Pakistan has been involved in almost every major controversy that has affected Cricket. Lahore; team buses were bombed and attacked with players inside. Dubai; Asif was arrested for drug possession. Australia; the team fought like babies and had to suspend major players. Not to forget Jamaica, Bob Woolmer was found dead in his hotel room.
And now in England, Pakistan’s bad luck with controversies refuses to stop following it. “Spot Fixing”. Hmmm. I did not hear this term until I read a report on Cricinfo about it. I then had to go in and actually read up articles about what spot fixing actually meant. I was quite surprised by the details. Not because of what happened in the past, but because of the ease at which this can be done. Who can really with absolute conviction determine that a particular incident on the field was a result of spot fixing? It is the easiest forms of fixing and can go unnoticed unless some bookie blows the whistle. This must have happened in Pakistan’s case recently and so now we actually are investigating it.
Controversies of this sort are never good for the game. People lose interest because the game loses credibility. I am a diehard fan of cricket and will watch (well these days I can only follow as I am in the US and due to factors of cost and convenience of time, I am unable to) any form of cricket that is on TV. So far I have not shied away from a cricket match because of these controversies. But slowly my faith in the system is beginning to break.
Take for example, the situation when Sehwag was on 99 in the India-Sri Lanka game. Why did 4 byes have to be conceded at that point? And then the beeeeg no-ball, that the bowler and a fielder partly acknowledged was deliberate. To say that was definitely not a “Spot Fixing” moment would be unwise.
Cricketers are making millions these days through match fees and other endorsements. But I feel they may be still tempted by the prospect of making “even more”. People who are heavily involved in betting don’t mind giving the players a cut just to make a fast buck. That not only devalues the game, but also causes sincere players to be investigated because of faults of other unscrupulous players. Whatever the ICC decides to do, it needs to do quickly. And it needs the support of local cricket boards to make sure it succeeds. Otherwise we may see a “Spot Fixed” World Cup with plenty of surprising stats.
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment